1.2.08

Robert Irwin's "Light and Space"

I spent my lunch break at MOCA today because I’m addicted to the exhibit above. I usually sit on the ground and simply stare. The piece takes me to another place where light transcends the limits of perception and all my useless thoughts. There are 115 fluorescent lights of varying sizes set in no noticeable pattern against a soothing light grey wall. When I first saw this, I tried really hard to look for a pattern in the design, but my brain started to hurt. As soon as I let go of trying to discover a pattern, the piece was both overwhelming and freeing. Soaking in the piece, I felt my breathing slow down. The sensory overload washed away all thoughts. I felt calm. There was order amidst the pattern-less, seemingly chaotic piece. Just perceiving the piece for what it was. It reminded me of a maze with no dead ends and I felt happy thinking of the possibilities.

Although there’s no symmetry, it looks perfectly balanced to me. This piece for me is a visual actualization of the sense and act of letting go.

1 comment:

Hyojung said...

wow..it's been so long since i read! or did ANYTHING online! it's always lovely to read your writing. :o) there a calming to it...i guess it's cuz i hear your voice when i read it too...

back to coffee??
acting classes??
where've i been?

you definitely should take acting classes. it is intimidating at first, but looking back when i was 16...you really have to forget about the fears of feeling stupid and the people around you. (which was why MY hands got clammy..i dunno about you. haha)

<3 you. have a good week!